[PLUG] got info?

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.ath.cx
Mon Mar 13 22:39:42 UTC 2006

On Mon, Mar 13, 2006 at 01:09:45PM -0800, m0gely wrote:
> I'm talking about something easy.  Updating Moz, or better yet getting
> java to work in it.  Look, these things may be easy for you and me.  But
> you don't just download the program to your desktop and run it.  There's
> more to it.

There is? At least with Debian and its derivatives, Mozilla Firefox
(to use your example) is an "apt-get install firefox" away. And that's
it. It doesn't require any more configuration. As far as the average
non-technical computer user is concerned, I can't imagine they'd find
this procedure any more difficult than the usual point-n-click Windows
style of installer, which often asks them which components they want
installed, where they want to install the software, if they want
shortcuts placed here and there, etc. There are certainly plenty of
packages out there that are not of the install-and-forget variety, but
for the most part they're not the sort of desktop applications that
most people are going to care about.

--
Paul