[PLUG] got info?

Alan alan at clueserver.org
Tue Mar 14 05:27:29 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-13 at 10:16 -0800, m0gely wrote:

> One example.  I can run XP fine on a dual 333Mhz machine I have that
> just about croaks w/ Lindows.  CentOS is better on that machine but
> still no where near as responsive as XP.

And there is a good reason for this.

Windows has access to the video card hardware acceleration.

X does not.  (At least not at the level where it is needed.)

There are a couple of reasons for this.  Microsoft has information that
allows them to have drivers that make use of this information, where X
does not.  (Due to the proprietary limitations on 3d graphics
acceleration.)

This is changing however.  XGL is being worked on.  I have played with
the beta and it is as fast and responsive as any Windows product, if not
faster.  And that is with FULL eye candy mode turned on.

Want to see something cool?  Take a look at
http://getkororaa.com/#download .  It is a bootable live Linux distro.
It is .01 beta, so don't expect rock solid stability.  You will want an
nVIDIA or ATI card to run it.  (Preferably nVIDIA.  Some models of ATI
have problems.  But I repeat myself.)

Expect to see Linux pass Mac and Windows in the eye candy department
within the next few years.