[PLUG] got info?

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Tue Mar 14 22:17:15 UTC 2006

On 14 Mar 2006, at 10:15, Christian wrote:

> sygate firewall free

Sygate personal firewall is what I use on my Windows 2000
desktop. What I like about it is 1) unlike ZoneAlarm, it seems to
have no bugs and evil interactions with the rest of my computer,
and 2) even a doofus like me can figure out how to configure it, and
3) I can stop any application from being able to get out to the net.

The last item is really handy in this age of monopolistic software
companies wanting their products to phone home all the time.
Currently all Adobe products are blocked, as is Quickbooks and
Internet Explorer.

I've used it for a long time and have never had a virus. Of course, I
also know better than to open a file in an e-mail unless I use
something safe. E.g., if someone sends me a Word file I'll open it
in OpenOffice.org Writer.

Where I feel more vulnerable is with my Ubuntu-64 laptop. At home
I am behind a router, and I did install Firestarter. But I have no idea
how to configure Firestarter beyond the standard installation. It
worries me when I connect at some wifi hotspot, especially places
like coffee shops.