[PLUG] local hardware

alan alan at clueserver.org
Fri Mar 17 17:05:17 UTC 2006

On Fri, 17 Mar 2006, Michael M wrote:

> I'm looking to buy a new PC and have been searching around on the web
> for local shops that will build one.  The two places linked from PLUG's
> homepage, ENU and Pacific Solutions, both have somewhat limited options,
> at least on their website, as does Belmont Computer.  Do these places
> have more customization options than are indicated on their sites?
> (Pacific Solutions, for example, seems only to build AMD Sempron
> machines.)

Call Pacific Solutions and tell them what you are looking for.  They can
probably order it for you.  It takes them about 1-2 days to get stuff in,
unless it is unusual.

I have shopped at Pacific Solutions for years and I have been very happy
with them.  Unfortunatly they have lost their Linux-savy techs in the last
year.  (Not that I ever use their techs, considering how long I have been
using Linux.)

> Are there better bets than these places in the area?  Failing that, does
> anyone have a favorite company that does custom builds and ships
> nationally?

I prefer someplace close I can walk into in case I have hardware failure
issues.

--
"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa