[PLUG] Browser Blues

Jason R. Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 21:46:11 UTC 2006

On 3/17/06, Bruce Kilpatrick <bakilpatrick at verizon.net> wrote:
> I had (have) the same issue with a Verizon DSL line and Ubuntu.  I don't
> know what the solution is, but, I know what the problem is.
>
> I have an Actiontec GT704WG modem/router.  Every time I turn the
> wireless off or on, or just turn the modem off for the night, I get the
> Browser Blues.  Somehow the problem seems to just fix itself if I leave
> things alone for a while.  In my case I am able to use Konqueror until
> Firfox and the modem make up to each other.  If I leave the Actiontec
> alone, all is good.
>
> I have the intention of installing a firewall on the computer and
> turning off the one on the modem to see if that solves the problem.  All
> I need is a little time...

Once upon a time I had DSL from SBC back in the midwest, and they
explicitly told us to never turn the DSL modem off for unknown
reasons.  Perhaps you should stop turning off your modem for the
night.

I have Verizon DSL now, never turn off the modem (except for long
trips away from home) and don't have any problems with surfing the web
with Firefox.  There's a Linksys all-in-one box between my systems and
the modem.

Jason