[PLUG] local hardware

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sat Mar 18 20:46:41 UTC 2006

On Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:20:58 -0800
"Steve Bonds" <1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com> dijo:

> ... In the interest of giving you some
> ideas, here's what I bought-- keep in mind that this is not yet
> assembled so there may be some lingering compatibility problems I'm
> unaware of.
>
> Motherboard: TYAN S2865G2NR
> Power Supply: Antec TruePower 2.0 TP2-550 EPS12V
> > CPU: AMD Athlon 64 x2 3800+
> Memory: Kingston KVR400X64C3AK2/2G
> Video: onboard

> Remember, I haven't assembled this yet so there may be some issues,
> but I hope this gives you some ideas.

Steve,

That sounds very much like what I want to build for myself, except for
the video. Like you, I do no gaming, but I do need something for
serious desktop publishing. Hence, I want that Dell 30" LCD at 2560 x
1600 (or 1200 or whatever it is -- brain is slightly fried from
studying). I think I also want a TV tuner card, and the best DVD
read/write I can get, maybe two of them for copying purposes. And a
very fast hard disk as well. Also I think I want 64-bit Ubuntu.

But what you outlined above is a good start for what I want to build.
My current Windows 2000 desktop is 3 1/2 years old and stuff is
starting to fail -- already had a close call when the hard disk died. I
want my next desktop to be pure Linux, and it's close to time to build
it.

I have totally saved your list. Please post your experience once the
stuff gets here and you get around to putting it together.