[PLUG] Linux box losing time

John Jason Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Sun Mar 19 01:19:20 UTC 2006

I've had computers with lousy clocks before, but nothing as bad as what Aaron is describing, except for my experience with my first Linux computer. This was the Compaq R4000 that I ended up returning to HP because I could never get the ATI video to work with Linux. On that machine the clock ran exactly double speed. It was otherwise perfectly accurate. :)

I never got around to fixing it, but there was some discussion of it on Suse's site, and someone also posted there an rpm file which was supposedly a fix. I remember that the cause had something to do with the kernel, and that there were other CPUs where problems cropped up occasionally also.

I know that's not much help, but I just wanted to say that it may be a Linux problem, not a hardware problem, and there may be a fix out there somewhere.