[PLUG] Thunderbird

Bill Barry barryb at proaxis.com
Sun Mar 19 06:08:38 UTC 2006

On 3/18/06, Bruce Kilpatrick <bakilpatrick at verizon.net> wrote:
> Is it possible to have multiple identities using Thunderbird (ver 1.0.7)?
> My wife would like to use this program.  We share a computer at this
> point and have very different methods of keeping emails sorted.  I
> wonder if I could have Thunderbird running on separate virtual desktops
> with a his and hers distinction.  Evolution has some limitations I
> haven't figured out how to conquer and she likes what she sees on my
> desktop.

Thunderbird can certainly do this.  What you are calling identities
Thunderbird calls profiles.  Instead of directly starting Thunderbird,
use the Thunderbird Profile Manager.  There is probably a profile
already there called default, that is your profile. Now you just have
to create a new profile for your wife   On one virtual desktop start
Thunderbird with your profile, and on the other virtual desktop start
Thunderbird with your wifes profile.
Here is more information about profiles
http://www.mozilla.org/support/thunderbird/profile

Bill Barry