[PLUG] local hardware

Michael M. debian at writemoore.net
Sun Mar 19 09:38:47 UTC 2006

Well, I'm glad I asked ... everyone had lots of great suggestions, even
if some of them don't work for me right now.  Regarding building my own
machine, down the road I will.  And I've been participating in Free
Geek's build program, so I know it's not that hard.  Unfortunately, I've
had to stop for awhile because I came down with pneumonia.  But I'm
starting to feel better and hope I'll be able to resume in a week or
two.  The hard thing is not so much the mechanics of it, but knowing
what you want and what makes sense and what works together.  That takes
a lot of research, if you're not fairly conversant with the options.  I
think it's easy for people who are to forget how much more daunting a
task seems to someone who isn't.  And this is especially true when you
find wildly conflicting information about what's supported, by whom, and
under what circumstances.  Searching Google/Linux for a particular piece
of hardware turns up data that's sometimes two or three years
out-of-date and might not be relevant anymore.  Sifting through that
plus through the mountain of completely irrelevant stuff that turns up
is a chore, not to mention sorting out the information that's accurate
from someone's misdiagnoses of a problem.  I just don't think it's
something you can do in the course of a week and come to completely
satisfactory conclusions, unless you're already starting with a good
baseline of foreknowledge about what you're interested in.  It strikes
me from the comments many of you made that these are things you've been
doing or thinking about for quite sometime.  Plus, it would be nice to
see some of this stuff I've been reading about and I really don't have
the energy right now to make a field trip.  So, for me, assembling the
parts to build a box is more of a long-term project than something I can
accomplish while I'm recovering.  Maybe I'm making it more difficult
than it needs to be, but I have a tendency to do that sometimes anyway.
  So there you are.

So I know you're all waiting with baited breath to know what I've
decided.  :-)

I ordered a machine from these folk: http://groovix.com/solutions.html

The prices are decent if not exceptional, the machines are sufficiently
configurable that I could get a couple of things I knew I wanted and
trust that they know what they're doing with the rest.  They seem to use
good parts, and obviously everything should be compatible because they
load Ubuntu.  It's kinda nice to be supporting a company that's trying
to make a go of supporting Linux for home use.  Even if it has a dumb
name.  (Groovix?  WTF?)  It'll be interesting to get a machine with
Linux that someone else has installed.  And it'll be my first AMD
machine.  So I'm psyched.

Now if it would just get here already!

[While I was writing this message I managed to burn a piece of toast and
set off the smoke alarm.  You see, technology hates me.]

--
Michael M. -- Portland, OR -- USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions