[PLUG] mplayer and SuSE

Jon Scully jonscully at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 16:31:20 UTC 2006

On 3/20/06, David Fleck <david.fleck at mchsi.com> wrote:

> Thanks to everybody for the suggestions.  I'm finding that the
> RPM-dependency hell involved in installing the suggested rpm is
> particularly severe; it may be just as painful installing from rpm as
> installing a second gcc and building from source. More so, it looks like.
>
> Rhetorical question: why can't a tool as feature-bloated as rpm
> recursively resolve dependencies?

It does recursively resolve dependencies (me thought).  However, the
depended-upon RPM packages must be available in order for recursive
resolution to occur.  Ok... It was a rhetorical question and I'm stating the
obvious...

So, when is it a good time to recommend a distro change?  Never?  Fair
enough, but there are distros that are just as easy to use as their RPM
counterparts, but do not subject a user to RPM hell.  Just a thought ;-)

--
Jon Scully
Sr. Embedded Software Engineer