[PLUG] mplayer and SuSE

Ryan rmannon at comcast.net
Mon Mar 20 16:57:46 UTC 2006

Finally something I might know a bit about!  kaffeine is just a gui for
mplayer.  Just issue the command "mplayer" on the command line.
naturally some thing like this

# mplayer path/to/the/file/you/want/to/play.avi,mpg,mov,ect,ect

you should get something like this after issueing the command

MPlayer dev-CVS-051220-04:08-4.0.1 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Advanced Micro Devices  (Family: 15, Stepping: 2)
Compiled with runtime CPU detection - WARNING - this is not optimal!
To get best performance, recompile MPlayer with
--disable-runtime-cpudetection.

89 audio & 203 video codecs
Usage:   mplayer [options] [url|path/]filename

and then a list of all the options available.

If you get some kind of error then there is a problem somewhere.  But
mplayer on the command line should give you a pretty exact error.

Do you know if you have all the win32 codecs installed?

If you do compile by hand, you will have to find the mplayer plugins
folder and just extract the codecs there and make sure all users have
permissions to use the codecs.  I really dont know where Suse puts this
folder as I'm a lazy Mandriva user.

Does Suse have repositories for programs they cannot include because of
copyright issues?  That might be what you need.

I hope that helps...

-ryan