[PLUG] Thunderbird

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 20 19:50:12 UTC 2006

On 3/18/06, Bruce Kilpatrick <bakilpatrick at verizon.net> wrote:
> Is it possible to have multiple identities using Thunderbird (ver 1.0.7)?
> My wife would like to use this program.  We share a computer at this
> point and have very different methods of keeping emails sorted.  I
> wonder if I could have Thunderbird running on separate virtual desktops
> with a his and hers distinction.  Evolution has some limitations I
> haven't figured out how to conquer and she likes what she sees on my
> desktop.

In addition to separate profiles, Thunderbird does support multiple
accounts in one profile.  And multiple identities (name and email
address) for a single account.  For example, at home I have work,
home, etc accounts.  And my home account has two different email
addresses associated with it.  There is a dropdown while composing
email which allows selecting the identity.

If you share an email account, then multiple identities is the way to
select the name on outgoing email.  If you don't share email accounts,
I would suggest having separate profiles.  Even better, have separate
Linux users.

 - Ian