[PLUG] Mailing list SPF issues

Aaron Ten Clay aaron at madebyai.com
Mon Mar 20 23:23:06 UTC 2006

I've noticed in particular messages from Keith Lofstrom are being rejected by my mailserver when sent through the PLUG list, because he's got SPF for his domain configured properly. I also have SPF configured for my domain, so I'd guess that he's not getting my messages (and possibly other people's).

Obviously the entire idea behind SPF is to work this way, so my question is, why does mailman set the sender to the post submitter when forwarding to each subscriber? It seems like a better way would be to leave the sender as PLUG at lists.pdxlinux.org and note the originator of the message in reply-to or something. And since I doubt anyone wants to change how it works, what's the best way to deal with this issue on my end and anyone else who's using SPF?

Should we all add SPF records allowing the PLUG mailserver to send on our behalf? That seems like a cheap hack to me.

Comments appreciated,
Aaron