[PLUG] Linux box losing time

Aaron Ten Clay aaron at madebyai.com
Mon Mar 20 23:25:44 UTC 2006

On Mon March 20 2006 11:45, Ian Burrell wrote:
> What kernel version are you running?  I have seen serious clock skew
> problems with Opteron dual-core processors.  The problem was a kernel
> bug which selected an unstable clock source for the dual-core
> processors.  I wouldn't be too surprised is a similar problem affected
> Intel SMP processors.  It is also possible to force the kernel to use
> a more stable (but slower) clock source.
>
>  - Ian

I'm running 2.6.15. I don't think it's that sort of bug since the other three identical systems aren't having the problem.

I've been meaning to find a lull time (when everyone's asleep) to stop all the processes on the box and see if it still loses time. I'm fairly suspicious of java for some reason, maybe something I heard once.

Thanks for the suggestion, though.
-Aaron