[PLUG] Question About Linux Behavior

fh hillsboro linux at frankhunt.com
Tue Mar 21 03:23:15 UTC 2006

I run ~10 KDE workspaces each with several windows open - mostly
browsers and mail clients and terminals.  The system is also my mail
server and listserv server.  After a period of no user activity, it
seems that there is nothing in memory except the disk cache.  When I get
back from $tarbuck$ and user activity resumes, there is significant
latency while the disk beats it's brains out reloading everything back
into memory (like 20-30 seconds for thunderbird to get it's brains back,
for instance).  Is there any way to keep the applications from being
swapped out in favor of (what I am assuming is) the disk cache?

--
Frank Hunt
Confused Linux Admin