[PLUG] Backup Error: Need Advice

Jon Scully jonscully at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 15:49:39 UTC 2006

On 3/21/06, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:

>    After running for years without problems I've hit what may be a
> hardware
> (RAM) problem that's affecting my backups. I'd greatly appreciate some
> help
> in figuring out the source of this error.

Try the following:
* Reboot into a Knoppix Live CD (or other live CD)
* Mount the hard drive partition READ ONLY:
1) In Knoppix, just right-click the drive-like icon and choose one of the
mount options
2) From a command prompt, enter: /bin/mount -n -o remount,ro /
* From a command prompt, enter: /sbin/fsck -T -C -a /

>From the way you describe things, you should see complaints from fsck.

Good idea, having backups ;-)

--
Jon Scully