[PLUG] Backup Error: Need Advice

Galen Seitz galens at seitzassoc.com
Tue Mar 21 16:27:41 UTC 2006

Roderick A. Anderson <raanders at acm.org> wrote:

> Terror.  Well at least concern.  I've seen this happen as a disk
> started to fail.  My first moves have been to restart the system;
> sometimes by hitting the power or rest button; forcing it to see an
> unclean shutdown and allowing you to check the partitions.  ( I'm sure
> there is some really-cool/total-sysadmin method to do this but I like
> low-hanging fruit and it has worked on almost every distribution I've
> tried. )

I think I prefer Jon's suggestion of running fsck from a CD, but here's
a way to run fsck on an idle system.  I don't think an unclean shutdown
is a good idea.  The only exception I can think of is if you just
entered something liked rm -f /.

Logout from any X11 session.
Login as root on a vt.
#telinit s               #go to single user mode
run fsck

galen