[PLUG] Mailing list SPF issues

Wil Cooley wcooley at nakedape.cc
Tue Mar 21 18:36:58 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-03-20 at 15:23 -0800, Aaron Ten Clay wrote:
> I've noticed in particular messages from Keith Lofstrom are being
> rejected by my mailserver when sent through the PLUG list, because
> he's got SPF for his domain configured properly. I also have SPF
> configured for my domain, so I'd guess that he's not getting my
> messages (and possibly other people's).

Don't reject messages with conflicting SPF records wholesale.
Generally, don't reject messages based on only a single test--you'll
wind up with too many false positives (unless it's a really good, really
reliable test).  That's why I prefer the scoring mechanism SpamAssassin
uses.

> Obviously the entire idea behind SPF is to work this way, so my
> question is, why does mailman set the sender to the post submitter
> when forwarding to each subscriber? It seems like a better way would
> be to leave the sender as PLUG at lists.pdxlinux.org and note the
> originator of the message in reply-to or something. And since I doubt
> anyone wants to change how it works, what's the best way to deal with
> this issue on my end and anyone else who's using SPF?

But the sender /isn't/ the mailing list; the sender is... the sender.
The mailing list is just the forwarder.  Reply-to is something
altogether different.

> Should we all add SPF records allowing the PLUG mailserver to send on
> our behalf? That seems like a cheap hack to me.

Or just whitelist the list server itself, since yours is in the minority
of ones with problems.

Wil
--
Wil Cooley <wcooley at nakedape.cc>