[PLUG] mplayer and SuSE - my ongoing tale of woe

David Fleck david.fleck at mchsi.com
Thu Mar 23 13:43:53 UTC 2006

On Sun, 19 Mar 2006, Christian Brink wrote:
> You're better off compiling it from source. It's not that bad.
> If you use a precompiled package it has to do run time CPU
> Detection, which will effect performance.

First off, thanks again to all who replied.
After chasing down all the necessary rpms and srpms, I was able to install
mplayer, but it didn't work correctly. (Behavior described below.)

I decided to break down and build the thing from scratch.  So I
downloaded, built, and installed gcc-3.4.6.  That seems to be working
fine.

I then took the MPlayer-1.0pre7try2 source I had lying around, and
built it with gcc-3.4.6 & installed it.  So far no problems.

Testing the resulting mplayer, I get the *exact same error behavior* as I
did with the mplayer binary installed from rpm -- which makes me think
there's a more fundamental problem than just mplayer, but I'm not sure
where to go looking for it.

Here's what mplayer does:

dcf>$ /usr/local/bin/mplayer test.mpg
MPlayer 1.0pre7try2-3.4.6 (C) 2000-2005 MPlayer Team
CPU: Advanced Micro Devices Athlon MP/XP Thoroughbred (Family: 6,
Stepping: 0)
Detected cache-line size is 64 bytes
Compiled for x86 CPU with extensions: MMX MMX2 3DNow 3DNowEx SSE

Playing test.mpg.
MPEG-ES file format detected.
VIDEO:  MPEG1  320x240  (aspect 1)  25.000 fps  6553.2 kbps (819.1
kbyte/s)
vo: X11 running at 1280x1024 with depth 24 and 32 bpp (":0.0" => local
display)
Opening video decoder: [mpegpes] MPEG 1/2 Video passthrough
VDec: vo config request - 320 x 240 (preferred csp: Mpeg PES)
Could not find matching colorspace - retrying with -vf scale...
Opening video filter: [scale]
The selected video_out device is incompatible with this codec.
VDecoder init failed :(
Opening video decoder: [libmpeg2] MPEG 1/2 Video decoder libmpeg2-v0.4.0b
Selected video codec: [mpeg12] vfm:libmpeg2 (MPEG-1 or 2 (libmpeg2))
Audio: no sound
Starting playback...
VDec: vo config request - 320 x 240 (preferred csp: Planar YV12)
VDec: using Planar YV12 as output csp (no 0)
Movie-Aspect is undefined - no prescaling applied.
VO: [xv] 320x240 => 320x240 Planar YV12
V:  48.4 1211/1211  1%  0%  0.0% 0 0

Exiting... (End of file)

During this time, a small window, probably 320 x 240, pops up.  For a
fraction of a second, this window is entirely black; then the entire
window reverts to the default background color for xterms.  At the
"Exiting..." line, the window goes away.

The test file is available at http://fredrik.hubbe.net/plugger/test.mpg.

So, I'm looking for ideas on where to start debugging - I suspect there's
something buggered up in the underlying installed-from-rpm libraries, but
I don't really know where to start looking.  I don't see anything
obviously wrong in mplayer's diagnostic output, or in what gets reported
with 'mplayer -v' set.

--
David Fleck
david.fleck at mchsi.com