[PLUG] Sound, Part II

Paul Mullen pm at nellump.ath.cx
Fri Mar 24 19:13:41 UTC 2006

On Fri, Mar 24, 2006 at 11:02:37AM -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   All drivers are in place. alsamixer is on non-zero for the master
>   and PGM channels for both root and users. xmms comes up, but no
>   sound comes out of the speakers and instead of seeing the little
>   bars jumping up and down, I see a wavy line near the bottom of
>   that plot window. I'm stumped.

Have you tried using the command-line tools that ALSA provides? There
should be some sort of "alsa-utils" package available for your
distribution. I try to avoid fancy apps like XMMS when I'm
troubleshooting audio issues. Something like:

  aplay /path/to/my/favorite/sound.wav

is a quick way to determine if it's an application issue or something
a bit deeper.

--
Paul