[PLUG] Opening CD drive drawers

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 24 19:24:07 UTC 2006

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Richard C. Steffens wrote:

> If K3B can recognize the button, why isn't the button recognized at other
> times?

Dick,

   Like a teenager, the issue is to annoy you.

> I also learned that even though unmount is listed in the context menu, it's
> not available unless I'm logged in as root.

   As root, edit /etc/fstab so your entry is equivalent to this:

/dev/cdrom       /mnt/cdrom       iso9660     noauto,users,ro,unhide  0 0

This lets me, as a user, mount and umount the drive.

   If you press the button on the drive it just won't open? How strange! I
wonder if this is KDE's way of protecting you from yourself.

   Both my drives open at a push of their buttons whether I'm in X or at a
console.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.             |  Quantifying subjectivity for the
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)  |  benefit of business and society.