[PLUG] routers

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Fri Mar 24 21:50:57 UTC 2006

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006, Michael M. wrote:

> It occurred to me that I would like to be able to connect my current
> machine with my new machine, when it arrives. So I guess I'll set up a
> little network with a router, since it might be useful to be able to be
> on-line with both machines simultaneously on occasion.

Michael,

   Why not use a 4-port switch? If you're moving bits around internally then
that's all you need. I assume that you already have access to the 'Net. If
you can do e-mail, ftp, http, and more from the one box, you'll be able to do
the same from the other box.

   In 1998-early 1999 we used a 56K modem to access the 'Net simultaneously
from two linux workstations. We'd each be fetching mail and loading web pages
with no problems.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.             |  Quantifying subjectivity for the
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)  |  benefit of business and society.