[PLUG] routers

Michael M. nixlists at writemoore.net
Fri Mar 24 22:53:27 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 13:50 -0800, Rich Shepard wrote:

>    Why not use a 4-port switch? If you're moving bits around internally then
> that's all you need. I assume that you already have access to the 'Net. If
> you can do e-mail, ftp, http, and more from the one box, you'll be able to do
> the same from the other box.

Um, because I didn't think of it?  :-)

I've never had a need for a home network before, so I haven't given it a
lot of thought.  I helped a tech-challenged friend set-up a home network
with a broadband router -- it's really the only thing I've any passing
familiarity with.  But I guess you're right, a switch would be just
fine.  Perhaps cheaper, too?  I'll search around.

Same question applies -- are there good switches and bad switches?  File
transfer speeds between machines are the same as with a router, yes?

--
Michael M. -- Portland, OR -- USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions