[PLUG] routers

Michael M. nixlists at writemoore.net
Sat Mar 25 10:13:39 UTC 2006

On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 15:22 -0800, Aaron Ten Clay wrote:

> I think most of the consumer ones out there come with Windows-based configuration software that lets you click through the wizard a couple of times and it configures everything for you. Since you won't be able to do that, you'll have to use the web interface on the router (unless you're lucky enough to find one with SSH.)
>
> I don't want to say one router's better than another, because everyone has their own opinions. My personal preference is U.S. Robotics or Netgear, but I've successfully configured consumer-class routers in linux environments from Linksys, D-Link, and Hawking Technology as well.
>
> I would however recommend avoiding Belkin. The web interfaces I've tried to use with them seem to be very IE-Bug dependant.
>
> If you need help getting the network setup just let us know. Most routers will start handing out 192.168.x.y addresses as soon as you plug them in, and then you can grab DHCP, run 'ip route show' in a terminal, and type the IP listed for default gateway into your browser to get started. Here's an example:

Thanks again, everyone, for the advice.  After looking around a bit, it
seems that these days home broadband routers are no more expensive than
switches and probably provide a bit more flexibility in the long run.
Newegg has a good-looking, well-regarded Netgear 4-port router for $41
and a not-quite-as-stylish but also well-reviewed D-Link for $32.  Seems
pretty hard to beat.  The basic Linksys router is almost $50 and has
given a lot of people problems, but that could be because Linksys is a
more popular brand.  More units sold = more people with issues.

I'll stop by the local Radio Shack tomorrow to take a look at their
stock, and buy one there or order from Newegg if RS doesn't have a good
selection.

>From looking at the .pdf installation sheets all these companies put on
their websites, it appears that all you need is a web browser to
configure them.  Netgear even mentions Linux compatibility!  Hmm, reward
them because they have a slightly savvier marketing department...?

--
Michael M. -- Portland, OR -- USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions