[PLUG] Opening CD drive drawers

Kurt Sussman plug at merlot.com
Sat Mar 25 22:52:39 UTC 2006

Jason R. Martin (nsxfreddy at gmail.com) typed this ...
> Yes, but the eject button on the keyboard signals to the OS that you
> want to unmount and eject the CD, so the OS can handle it properly.
> The eject button directly on the drive tells the drive firmware that
> you want the CD now, regardless of what the OS is currently doing.

There is a low-level command that CD-burning software sends to the drive
that locks it closed. The drive will ignore the button and software
commands that request an eject until the command is sent to unlock the
door.

Regular CD-ROM drivers can (and in the last few years, actually do) lock
the door when a CD is mounted, so you don't just blindly eject a mounted
filesystem.

I've been ignoring this thread, so I hope this isn't redundant.

--Kurt