[PLUG] Re: wow. learned something new!

Russell Senior seniorr at aracnet.com
Mon Mar 27 02:08:23 UTC 2006

>>>>> "Randal" == Randal L Schwartz <merlyn at stonehenge.com> writes:

>>>>> "Russell" == Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> writes:
Russell> I am not a kernel hacker, so when reading kernel code I've
Russell> always been a bit curious about struct list_head, the generic
Russell> doubly linked list in the kernel.  [...]

Randal> And the wonderful thing is that with this being open source,
Randal> you can *see* how it works, and *how* it is used, in a large
Randal> enterprise-ready system, and all of us become better
Randal> programmers for it. [...]

Randal> Having good examples of large systems is a great way to see
Randal> what works in practice, not just theory.

Part of my wonderings are, no doubt, due to not keeping up on more
recent C standardization or even gcc extentions (as this was) for that
matter.  My primary C reference is still K&R and/or Harbison&Steele.
So, one question might be, what is a currently germane C reference?

Another topical question for me is: what are good tools for exploring
existing code?  Particularly in figuring out the overall structure of
a project.  I am thinking of a call tree (this function calls these
other functions) kind of thing.  Or other similar tools that are
useful, beyond, say, /usr/bin/less.  What do people find useful?

seniorr at aracnet.com