[PLUG] Re: wow. learned something new!

Jon Scully jonscully at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 03:55:40 UTC 2006

On 26 Mar 2006 18:08:23 -0800, Russell Senior <seniorr at aracnet.com> wrote:

> Part of my wonderings are, no doubt, due to not keeping up on more
> recent C standardization or even gcc extentions (as this was) for that
> matter.  My primary C reference is still K&R and/or Harbison&Steele.
> So, one question might be, what is a currently germane C reference?

Yes. Kernel doesn't use K&R  nor ANSI C (which I cut my teeth on, too).  It
uses ISO C99 and some gcc extension (which really threw me, first time
digging through :-/ ).

Another topical question for me is: what are good tools for exploring
> existing code?  Particularly in figuring out the overall structure of
> a project.  I am thinking of a call tree (this function calls these
> other functions) kind of thing.  Or other similar tools that are
> useful, beyond, say, /usr/bin/less.  What do people find useful?

Not familiar with any... Mostly just schlep through code until familiar :)

--
Jon Scully
Sr. Embedded Software Engineer