[PLUG] Application Stress

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Mon Mar 27 18:25:46 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Wil Cooley wrote:

> What exactly is a "weak" CPU?

   One that causes the system to hang solidly and unexpectedly.

> The only thing that seems likely to me is if the cooling is
> inadequate--playing digital audio would keep the CPU busier and perhaps not
> run as cool as otherwise.

   The heat sink/fan is a huge one that looks like the cooling tower on a
nuclear power plant. The BIOS is set to turn on the fan when the CPU
temperature reaches 40C (the lowest of the three temperature options).

   From my research into support for lm_sensors, the Soyo board does not have
any; I've not looked to see if the MSI K7N2 Delta 2 board does have support.
So, I don't know how to monitor CPU temperature in real time.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.             |  Quantifying subjectivity for the
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)  |  benefit of business and society.