[PLUG] Fedora Core 3 EOL...

Terry Griffin griffint at pobox.com
Mon Mar 27 18:30:38 UTC 2006

> Well it appears to be approaching the end of it's life and already, web
> sites are recommending an upgrade to Fedora Core 4.  The up2date engine
> in my opinion has something to be desired.
>
> First off, is there a way to get all the updates for Fedora Core 3 and
> make a private update mirror before the Internet update servers are
> turned off?
>
> Second off, how do I get the source code for the updated Fedora Core 3
> packages?
>
> Third, can the Fedora community fix the updater so that people who update
> samba and want to install samba-swat don't have to force the old version
> on?
>
> For the third problem, I updated samba-swat after forcing the old version
> on.
> Major kludge though.
>
> Can the Fedora community be convinced to release an end of life version of
> Fedora Core 3 with all of the final updates to it?  Are there tools to
> replace
> old packages with their updated versions on the Fedora Core 3 iso images
> and
> rebuild the install trees?  I would like to be able to install Fedora Core
> 3
> using the updated packages.
>
> Is there any way with the gnome updater to make sure that the updated rpms
> don't get deleted after they are installed?  I've been using:
>
> cp -u /var/spool/up2date/*.rpm $backup_dir
>
> before continuing on to the installation stage, but there has to be a
> better
> way to save a copy of the update rpms that doesn't involve attending the
> update.
>
> Is the Fedora Community fixing the gnome front end to up2date so that
> it doesn't lock up and crash so much?  I've noticed a lot of warnings
> along the lines of, deprecated function call.
>
> Concerning newer releases of Fedora Core beyond 3, is there a continuing
> developement branch for people who want a more ironed out release of Core
> 3?
> Is Core 4 the current release?  How is Core 4 different?
>
> Aside:
> Speaking of source code, I can't figure out how to get the source code
> for MHonArc which I downloaded from http://mhonarc.org/.
>
> Michael C. Robinson

You ask a lot of questions. Here are answers to a few of them.

You can make a private mirror with rsync. Just check the mirror list
at http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html and find a mirror
near you that supports rsync. Then just mirror the mirror.

The source code is on the mirrors as well in the form of source-rpm
(SRPM), but in a different subdirectory.

If you use the yum utility to do the updates, it won't delete the
downloaded RPMS unless you tell it to. I assume the Gnome update
utility is a wrapper around yum, and it probably tells yum to delete
the files.

The main update servers never go off-line. They just stop getting new
updates. Some of the mirrors may eventually delete the updates for
FC3.

If you're not ready to upgrade the consider getting future updates
from the fedora-legacy project. You just have to set up new yum
config files to point to their update servers, and you can continue
on as before.

If you are ready to update, consider FC5 instead of FC4. But if you
are an inexperienced user you might wait a couple more weeks so that
the experienced users can work out some of the installation issues.

Terry