[PLUG] Application Stress

Jason R. Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 20:21:04 UTC 2006

On 3/27/06, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 27 Mar 2006, Jason R. Martin wrote:
>
> > What about the contact between the heatsink and the CPU?  Is it making
> > good contact?
>
>    Yes. It fits only one way as there's a shoulder on the socket and the heat
> sink.
>
> > Is there adequate thermal grease?
>
>    Yes.
>
> > Have you verified that the fan *does* turn on?
>
>    Yes. It comes on when the system boots and at different periods when the
> system is running.
>
> > lm_sensors support seems to remain rather uncommon in desktop-class
> > motherboards, at least from my experience.
>
>    If there's another way to track CPU temperatures, I'd like to learn of it.

All modern CPUs will throttle down and/or halt if they experience
overheating based on an in-package temperature sensor.  On some CPUs
that sensor is exposed via smbus, and thus available to lm_sensors.
Usually those are more server-class CPUs, like Xeons/Opterons.  I
don't know if there are heatsinks/fans that can connect somehow to a
system management functionality, that would be interesting if
possible.

Have you looked for kernel panics?  Perhaps this is all an unrelated
software issue that happened at the time of changing your system?
Different device drivers than were in use before?

Jason