[PLUG] Ubuntu Dapper Drake Officially Delayed

sofar sofar at foo-projects.org
Mon Mar 27 21:59:50 UTC 2006

On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 13:45:12 -0800, AthlonRob <AthlonRob at axpr.net> wrote:
> sofar wrote:
>> * the taskbar is now a plugin, so it can be removed
>> * the panel can have multiple instances - so you can have 2 panels:
>> one with the taskbar and one without
>
> Ah, very nice!
>
> I shall look forward to the release.  :-)
>
> Give me Xgl eyecandy next and I'll love you forever.

this has been discussed on the Xfce mailinglists and in short:

xfwm4 (the WM of xfce) will most likely not support XGL (in the near future) because:

1. too big of a change
2. it's not meant to be *that* fancy - it's meant to be lightweight and simple
3. it already uses composite which is a reasonable addition enough without affecting 1. and 2.
4. XGL api hasn't stabilized yet
5. you can already use Compiz instead of Xfwm4 if you so desire

hth,

Auke