[PLUG] Ubuntu Dapper Drake Officially Delayed

Christian christian at rocksolidservice.com
Tue Mar 28 07:10:06 UTC 2006

Tim,

Linux is not for the lazy, it is for learners. My kids (from 7-13) use
Ubuntu with ease. They have their own login, customized desktops etc.
They do not do any installing because I do not allow them, they could if
I would let them. I am curious as to what simple things you are still
trying to do? I understand that most people only use 5-9 applications.

As for understanding the way the files structure works... well, I am not
sure why you are having difficulties. I would suggest a book on Linux.
One thing that can be confusing is all of the bin files seems like the
bin files have bin files which is strange. I can understand some of the
confusion, but I think some education as to what var or usr or home
folders are intended to be used for might make your Linux experience
easier. You sound like a person that wants to know what and how an OS
works which is a prime user for Linux. Now you just have to put in the
time and learn it. Good luck.

christian