[PLUG] Fedora Core 3 EOL...

Ian Burrell ianburrell at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 19:34:31 UTC 2006

On 3/27/06, Keith Lofstrom <keithl at kl-ic.com> wrote:

> RedHat Enterprise Linux 4 is closely related to FC3, and they share
> many of the same versions of software.  CentOS4 is a clone of RHEL4,
> as is Scientific Linux 4.  While both are good, I would lean towards
> the latter, as it is supported by a full time team at FermiLabs,
> with the promise that it will be supported for at least five years,
> and probably a long time after that.  Certainly a long time after
> RedHat stops supporting RHEL4.

FC3 is close enough to Centos 4 that it should be possible to upgrade
an FC3 machine to Centos 4 with yum.  I have seen a few postings about
people taking this path.  It basically involves installing the centos
release package and doing "yum upgrade".  Alternatively, a fresh
install of Centos 4 should be compatible.

I doubt Centos and Scientifc Linux will be supported longer than the
RHEL version they are based on.  Five years is the support lifetime
for RHEL releases.  Centos and Scientific Linux mainly just rebuild
the updates which come from Redhat.

 - Ian