[PLUG] Fedora Core 3 EOL...

Keith Lofstrom keithl at kl-ic.com
Tue Mar 28 22:02:50 UTC 2006

On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 11:34:31AM -0800, Ian Burrell wrote:
> I doubt Centos and Scientifc Linux will be supported longer than the
> RHEL version they are based on.  Five years is the support lifetime
> for RHEL releases.  Centos and Scientific Linux mainly just rebuild
> the updates which come from Redhat.

Again, Scientific adds to RHEL ( for example, pine and OpenAFS ),
and they update their disto (they are at 4.2 ), and they support
"clones of clones".  They explicitly state that they will support
S.L. well beyond the RHEL end-of-life if there is a significant use
base still using it.  Since their user base is typically physical
scientists with kludgy home-brew apps that would probably break
with library updates, they have a strong incentive to keep the old
stuff going.  AFAIK, they haven't end-of-lifed any of their versions
yet.  And they have full time people working on S.L. at FermiLabs
and at CERN.  That is specifically why I chose them over CentOS,
even if CentOS has more of a "community feel".

Keith