[PLUG] Ubuntu Dapper Drake Officially Delayed

sofar sofar at foo-projects.org
Wed Mar 29 16:44:38 UTC 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 00:14:40 -0800, Galen Seitz <galens at seitzassoc.com> wrote:
> John Jordan <johnxj at comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> Indeed, education is the key. But I still must fault Linux a bit here.
>> Someone else said "/usr/bin" is as easy to learn as "c:\Program
>> Files." I must disagree. It's a picky point, to be sure, but a novice
>> will have no idea what "/usr/bin" is for. When I started using Linux a
>> year ago I literally thought it was the trash folder. Well, it said
> "bin"
>> didn't it? I'll agree that "c:\Program Files" is not completely clear
>> either, but it's a lot clearer than "/usr/bin."
>
> Despite the level of detail, I think newbies could learn a lot by
> just skimming the Filesystem Hierarchy Standard.

heh, that's an rtfm allright ;^).

yes - everyone should get some education before using a computer!

-> spam, malware, permissions, passwords are part of the digital world and the concepts should be known to all mankind if we wish to survive!

no - some things are not productive - devices should just work to the end user

-> imagine having to format your phone and enter all your phone codes before you can make a call

it's a balance struggle - neither side will win because they can't - you can never educate everyone, and you cannot make nerds out of all of them - some just have to be "human" too ;^)

Auke