[PLUG] Rebuilt System Still Not Right

Steve Bonds 1s7k8uhcd001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Mar 29 19:33:29 UTC 2006

On 3/29/06, Rich Shepard  wrote:

>    This problem started in the past couple of weeks. Whatever was run on the
> video card two weeks ago did not cause that system to lock up ... ever. As a
> matter of record, until the power supply failed in that box, it ran for about
> two years with reboots only for new kernel versions.

Every time I've had a power supply failure on a computer plugged
directly into wall power, it's taken some hardware with it.  This has
varied from a single disk drive to almost everything inside the case.

I've never had a power supply die on me when the system was on a UPS--
even a cheapo UPS.  Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe the brief power
lags I can see now that I have the UPSes to alarm are slowly taking a
toll on the power supplies.

I still think running Memtest86+ on your current CPU, motherboard, and
known-good memory would be a good idea.  Despite the name, it tests
more than the memory.  If the CPU or motherboard has been fried, they
should fail this test.  Run it overnight and see what happens...

  -- Steve