[PLUG] /usr/bin vs. c:\Program Files and a hammer (was Ubuntu Dapper ...)

Michael M. nixlists at writemoore.net
Wed Mar 29 22:21:06 UTC 2006

Rich Shepard wrote:
> On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Michael Rasmussen wrote:
>
>> A hammer enables easy misuse.  An OS typically doesn't.  Linux does so
>> less
>> than Windows. This is a bad thing?
>

> Mike,
>
>   How many people walk around with a bruised thumb from running linux?

Well, I nearly gave myself carpal tunnel syndrome manually changing
permissions of a few hundred files one-by-one in mc -- try repeating
"C-x c <arrow-down> <arrow-down> <arrow-down> <arrow-down> <arrow-down>
<spacebar> s" over and over, and your hand will be pretty sore too.

That was before I read 'man chown,' which nearly made me give up on
Linux altogether.  Linux man pages either are the greatest thing since
sliced bread or make you want to put your head through the monitor.  But
then I found a useful tutorial somewhere that was written in English
with examples, and all was well again.  I still think 'man chown' is a
good example of a man page that could not be less newbie friendly if it
tried.  It seems deliberately calculated to shut out the uninitiated.

--
Michael M. -- Portland, OR -- USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions