[PLUG] Q: how to prevent jpeg compression of images when going from PS to PDF

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Mar 30 04:04:12 UTC 2006

On Wed, 29 Mar 2006, Christian wrote:

> How are you converting it to a pdf file? Are you printing to pdf? or Are
> you using a conversion utility? I would start by printing to a pdf printer
> and then print it to a file... if you can do that(?). I am not real
> familiar with latex, but am pretty familiar with pdf and postscript.

> Dean S. Messing wrote:

>> Does anyone know how (under linux) to convert the .ps manuscript to
>> .pdf with compression turned off, or at least with lossless
>> compression?

>>     latex paper.tex;
>>     dvips -o -N0 -Ppdf -G0 paper.dvi;

Dean,

   I didn't see your original message; I'm having fits with my system.

   Have you tried pdflatex instead of plain latex? I've used dvips with the
default options and had that work just fine. Of course, I don't have 4M .eps
files.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.             |  Quantifying subjectivity for the
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)  |  benefit of business and society.