[PLUG] Linux Information for the New Initiate

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Mar 30 04:57:38 UTC 2006

   I used to have a book called "Linux A-Z" that was used for an operating
system course at the Univ. of Sheffield. It was distribution agnostic and
covered topics such as the file system hierarchy and what's in each directory
tree. Unfortunately, the book's out of print now and I gave away my copy
several years ago. If you can find a copy it's a valuable introduction.

   There's also Matt Walsh and Lar Kaufman's "Running Linux". I have the
second edition (from 1996), so I imagine that it's in the upteenth-gazillion
edition by now. This was the first linux book I read and it gives a very good
overview. The chapter titles include, "Preparing to Install LInux," "Basic
Commands and Concepts," "Essential System Managment," and more. This book,
too, is not distribution-specific so it will work for everyone.

   Powell's Technical Books has a great selection. If you browse amongst them
you're certain to find at least one that covers what you need and that is
written in a way you find easy to follow.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.             |  Quantifying subjectivity for the
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)  |  benefit of business and society.