[PLUG] Hardware Woes -- Identified

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Mar 30 19:16:17 UTC 2006

   My hardware problems were almost certainly caused by a failing CPU. I
replaced the Athlon this morning with a borrowed Sempron and the system has
been as solid as we would expect. Most importantly, I was able to build a 2.6
kernel without locking up the machine, the first indication of a problem last
autumn. As a matter of fact, I built 2.6.16 twice because I mis-configured it
the first time. I also built 2.4.32, which is what's currently running.

   Now, the question is whether the failed CPU was a fluke (my first thought)
and buying another OEM processor will be OK (3 month warranty by AMD), or try
to find the more expensive "PIB" version with the official AMD heat sink and
fan which comes with a 36 month warranty. I've not had a CPU go bad in the
20+ years I've used them, so this is a new experience.

   While I have your attention, I'll ask two other questions:

   1) Why are the 2.4.32 modules not gzipped, and why are the 2.6.16 modules
named *.ko?

   2) Despite sound capabilities declared in .config, and sound modules built,
I have no /proc/asound directory under any kernel now. Therefore, aumix
doesn't run and there's no sound available. The ALSA sound trouble shooting
guide assumes that /proc/asound exists. What are my options here?

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.             |  Quantifying subjectivity for the
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)  |  benefit of business and society.