[PLUG] Hardware Woes -- Identified

Jason R. Martin nsxfreddy at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 20:13:16 UTC 2006

On 3/30/06, Rich Shepard <rshepard at appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>    While I have your attention, I'll ask two other questions:
>
>    1) Why are the 2.4.32 modules not gzipped, and why are the 2.6.16 modules
> named *.ko?

What makes you think the modules *should* be gzipped?  All 2.6.X
kernel modules have the .ko extension, which I imagine was to be able
to distiguish a loadable kernel module from a standard object file,
since both are generated in the process of building modules.

>    2) Despite sound capabilities declared in .config, and sound modules built,
> I have no /proc/asound directory under any kernel now. Therefore, aumix
> doesn't run and there's no sound available. The ALSA sound trouble shooting
> guide assumes that /proc/asound exists. What are my options here?

/proc/asound only shows up when the "snd" module is loaded, which
should be a dependency for any sound driver modules.  Sounds (no pun
intended) like you don't have any drivers loaded.

Jason