[PLUG] Hardware Woes -- Identified

Rich Shepard rshepard at appl-ecosys.com
Thu Mar 30 20:37:40 UTC 2006

On Thu, 30 Mar 2006, Galen Seitz wrote:

> Congrats on finding the problem!

   Thanks, Galen.

> I wouldn't worry about getting a warranty for your CPU. I think it's quite
> unlikely that you will see a CPU fail in the 3 to 36 month window. You just
> happened to be unlucky this time. That said, I typically get the PIB
> package because: 1. I'm not overclocking, and thus I don't need a heatsink
> the size of a small car, and 2. the included fan is likely to be of good
> quality. I typically use standard heatsink compound rather than the
> included thermal pad, but that's just my own personal preference. I'm sure
> the thermal interface material is fine, or AMD/Intel wouldn't ship it.

   I don't overclock, either. Since I already have two heatsinks with good
fans (yes, they're the size of an original mini-Cooper) I don't need
another one; I haven't even found the PIB version on PriceWatch or at Newegg.
Everyone's selling the OEM version. The tube of heatsink goop I bought at
Radio Shack seems to be doing the job, so I'll take your advice and continue
to use it.

Richard B. Shepard, Ph.D.             |  Quantifying subjectivity for the
Applied Ecosystem Services, Inc.(TM)  |  benefit of business and society.