[PLUG] Q: how to prevent jpeg compression of images when going from PS to PDF

Dean S. Messing deanm at sharplabs.com
Thu Mar 30 22:17:38 UTC 2006

I wrote:
: I have a research paper I'm writing (in latex) in which are included
: a number of resolution-enhanced images.  (The research is on resolution
: enhancement.)  The images look great
: when the document is printed as a postscript file.  But when
: I convert the PS file to PDF with:
:
: ps2pdf14 paper.ps
:
: (which creates paper.pdf) the images look awful.  The size of the .pdf
: file (200 Kbytes) vis-a-vis the .ps file (4 Mbytes) tells the story.
:
: The conversion is compressing the images with jpeg compression and the
: resulting block and colour artifacts ruin my results.
:
: Does anyone know how (under linux) to convert the .ps manuscript to
: .pdf with compression turned off, or at least with lossless
: compression?
:
: FYI, the .ps was created by:
:
:     latex paper.tex;
:     dvips -o -N0 -Ppdf -G0 paper.dvi;
:
: The images that were included were all converted to .eps
: by ImageMagick's `convert' and included w/in the latex file
: using  \epsfig{...}
:

Rich Shepard wrote:
: Dean,
:
:    I didn't see your original message; I'm having fits with my system.

I included it above.

:    Have you tried pdflatex instead of plain latex? I've used dvips with the
: default options and had that work just fine. Of course, I don't have 4M .eps
: files.

When you say "just fine" do you mean that included images are
_not_ jpeg compressed w/in the .pdf file?  For if they are, it
won't work for my needs.

I'm using ps2pdf to convert from .ps to .pdf.  It's merely a script
that calls `gs' (ghostscript) with a boatload of parameters that I
don't understand.  I know nothing about gs.  I was hoping someone
on the list knew the bit of magic that would turn off jpeg compression.

Dean