[PLUG] Booting mulitple Linuxes

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Fri Mar 31 00:49:16 UTC 2006

>From: "Michael M." <nixlists at writemoore.net>
> I have been wrestling with this today.  I have three large partitions on
> my second hard drive I want to share between all OS'es, but the my UID
> in Ubuntu is 1001 and my UID in Debian is 1000, so I couldn't write to
> the partitions from Debian with my user account.  I chowned the
> partitions by username, rather than UID, since I have the same username
> in both OSes.  I haven't yet booted back into Ubuntu to see if I still
> have full access, so I don't know if this method will work.

You'll need to run `usermod -u 1000 <username>` on your Ubuntu
installation to get Ubuntu's passwd file synchronized. You can do a
blanket change of the behavior by changing UID_MIN in /etc/login.defs
(odd location, likely historic).

> I've never shared /home partitions, that sounds like living dangerously!
> I've made small 2GB home partitions for each OS, mostly for
> configuration files and whatever else might be useful for one but not
> the other(s).  But I keep the bulk of my own data on separate shared
> partitions.

Why does that sound like living dangerously? The distribution shouldn't
ever write there. You can generate config files that one doesn't like,
but the distribution tools /shouldn't/ do anything nasty without asking
you (since those are *your* files, and you're free to modify them).