[PLUG] Fedora Core 3 EOL...

plug_0 at robinson-west.com plug_0 at robinson-west.com
Mon Mar 27 19:40:53 UTC 2006

> You ask a lot of questions. Here are answers to a few of them.

> You can make a private mirror with rsync. Just check the mirror list
> at http://fedora.redhat.com/download/mirrors.html and find a mirror
> near you that supports rsync. Then just mirror the mirror.

> The source code is on the mirrors as well in the form of source-rpm
> (SRPM), but in a different subdirectory.

> If you use the yum utility to do the updates, it won't delete the
> downloaded RPMS unless you tell it to. I assume the Gnome update
> utility is a wrapper around yum, and it probably tells yum to delete
> the files.

> The main update servers never go off-line. They just stop getting new
> updates. Some of the mirrors may eventually delete the updates for
> FC3.

> If you're not ready to upgrade the consider getting future updates
> from the fedora-legacy project. You just have to set up new yum
> config files to point to their update servers, and you can continue
> on as before.
>
> If you are ready to update, consider FC5 instead of FC4. But if you
> are an inexperienced user you might wait a couple more weeks so that
> the experienced users can work out some of the installation issues.

With the distribution diversion that is occuring, there seem to be a lot
of distributions now, how is anyone supposed to compare them?  What is
being done to keep all these distributions reasonably standardized?

A lot of people are pro Debian and yet others are pro CentOS. I'm not
intending to start an annoyingly long thread here, but why?  If anyone
can explain why Ubuntu is popular, that interests me as well.

Is 300 the number of Linux distros these days, or are there more?
If the Linux community continues to fragment, will development stall?
With an average of at least 3 to 5 distros in use on this list, to
what degree can we all be talk about the same thing?

Aside:

A HOWTO that annoyed me on NFS root claims that rc.sysinit is adequately
documented for someone to modify it correctly.  WRONG!  I halt to cut the
links to killall, not documented.  Don't know why that script doesn't work
right when root is nfs mounted.  The system that I'm nfsrooting is Fedora
Core 1 without any updates applied to it.  What is the best way to learn
how to read Redhat and Fedora init scripts so that I can look into replacing
them with ones that are more intelligible?

Guess I need to learn more about rsync and go for it ;-)  I've never used
rsync.

Michael C. Robinson