[PLUG] SCSI verses SATA RAID

m0gely m0gely at telestream.com
Fri Mar 31 18:09:01 UTC 2006

Roderick A. Anderson wrote:
> Get your cans of fuel and matches ready.

> What are your thoughts on SCSI verses SATA RAID?
>
> Assume RAID cards not software RAID.
>
> Cost is not the biggest issue though the cost savings of SATA mean
> more/bigger drives.
>
> SCSI typically has a longer warranty ( 5 years ).
>

> So let the flames begin!  :-)

Why RAID vs. non-RAID?  Your question should really just be SATA vs.
SCSI, as RAID changes the answer.  Many good SATA RAID cards can be as
expensive as some SCSI RAID cards.  The same can be said for some drives
too.  Though it's very easy to go through the roof on SCSI components.

My suggestion is this:
   Seagate SATA 7200.9's w/ 5 year warranty for the budget
   Western Dig SATA Raptor's for the serious SATA attempt (5yr wnty. too)
   Seagate Barracuda's for the low end SCSI
   Seagate Cheetah's for the high ($$$)

I don't have time to get into RAID cards but Promise would be the
consumer (low end) brand.  Most decent SATA RAID cards start at around
$400 ~ $500.  The Promise SX4 I used a while back didn't even support
running more than one card in the same system, this may not be the case
with more recent cards.

--
- m0gely
http://quake2.telestream.com/