[PLUG] dual DVI video card

Elliott Mitchell ehem at m5p.com
Fri Mar 31 20:28:15 UTC 2006

>From: "Lancashire, Pete" <plancashire at ci.portland.or.us>
> Before asking PLUG I had never heard of dual-link, single-link.
> Up to now just a serial port is all I have ever looked for, since
> until now I've done all my GUI stuff via a dedicated Xterm.

A favored pointer:
http://www.pacificcable.com/DVI_Tutorial.htm

One interesting factor is you can drive very high resolution displays
with single-link DVI, you just push the refresh rate through the floor.
The trick of course, that with LCDs a lower refresh rate isn't a major
problem. With CRTs refresh rate is very much an issue, but there you're
likely using the analog path, not the digital path.

Now one issue is, "who the heck is the idiot who thought not supporting
high resolutions such as 1920x1536?" Why oh why did they design a digital
system that couldn't drive *existing* monitors?  :'-(