[PLUG] dual DVI video card

John Jordan johnxj at comcast.net
Fri Mar 31 21:52:06 UTC 2006

On 31 Mar 2006, at 16:32, RParr wrote:

> I strongly recomemend the nVidia cards.

For Linux, that definitely seems to be the consensus.

> I have had good luck running dual VGA and dual DVI on GeForce 5700,
> 5900, 6200, and 7800 based boards. If you are, or might in the future,
> run higher resolution (1600x1200, 1920x1200, 2560x1600) LCD monitors I
> would recommend jumping to the newer 7800 or 7900 cards.  Note most
> 7800 cards are dual DVI but most are only some support dual-link DVI
> and almost all the second DVI is single-link.  Also true for the lower
> end 7900 cards. Some, but not all, of the 7900GTX cards appear to
> support 2 dual-link DVI (that is dual Dell 30" 2560x1600 monitors :) )

Have you personally run a 7800? The reason I ask is that the Dell
30" widescreen LCD, which will do 2560 x 1600, seems to need
the 7800 cards. At least Dell lists three of them for sale on the
same page with the monitor:

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&
s=dhs&cs=19&sku=3007WY3&category_id=4009

I've asked around on various forums and have yet to find anyone
who is actually using one of these with Linux. I could call Dell or
nVidia, of course, but reports from an end-user are way more
credible than what a sales droid will tell me.

I'm planning on building myself a new Linux-only desktop, and this
monitor will be its crown jewel. The rest of the stuff is open to
negotiation -- its end point being to get this monitor producing
properly at 2560 x 1600 under Linux, and preferably Ubuntu-64.

Another question is why I always insist on being cutting edge.

Wait ... don't answer that.