[PLUG] External USB 2.0 hard drives

Timothy J. Bruce timb at bruce4.com
Mon May 1 23:45:36 UTC 2006

On Sun, April 30, 2006 21:06, Keith Lofstrom said:
> "Michael M." <nixlists at writemoore.net> dijo:
>>I want to get an external USB 2.0 hard drive in the vicinity of 300GB.
>>Newegg has a nice-looking simple 320GB model from the WD "essential"
>>series that does just USB 2.0 and doesn't come with (useless for
>>non-Windows/OSX) back-up software, yet I still can't find anything
>>"official" saying, yes, this drive should work fine with Linux operating
>>systems.  I'm 99% sure it should be fine, because it seems to lack
>>proprietary gotchas, but I thought I'd ask in case there is some
>>glaringly obvious warning sigh I'm missing?
>
> In the past, I had problems with some USB chipsets in conjunction with
> 2.4.X and some of the early 2.6.X kernels.  The drives would mount, but
> they would lock up after moving an hour or so of data.  More information
> at http://www.keithl.com/usb2bug.html.  I don't know whether that bug
> has been fixed - I haven't had time to pursue it or even verify if it
> is still there on newer kernels.
>
> Keith
>
> --
> Keith Lofstrom          keithl at keithl.com         Voice (503)-520-1993
> KLIC --- Keith Lofstrom Integrated Circuits --- "Your Ideas in Silicon"
> Design Contracting in Bipolar and CMOS - Analog, Digital, and Scan ICs

Why I can't respond to locking up, on my specific system (I'm running SuSE
v10 Professional) I've had no trouble backing up my ISOs of Linux distros
and my library of MP3s to my USB drive (other than running out of space on
my USB drive <grin>).  I've got about 8 Gb of MP3s and 60+Gb of ISOs that
I just completely re-backed up over the weekend (deleted all hte files off
the USB drive and copied with cp -R . /media/....).  Other commands
probably would have been better, but it also exercised the heads on my
drive heavily.

Tim

--
Timothy J. Bruce