[PLUG] Thunderbird behavior

Michael M. nixlists at writemoore.net
Wed May 3 02:15:54 UTC 2006

Richard C. Steffens wrote:
> With t-bird version 1.0.6 (20050716), when I start the program it
> opens with the inbox displayed. With the new version (1.5.0.2) it
> opens with the top level display for the e-mail user unless I check
> the box labeled, "Check for new messages at startup". On one of my
> machines I never want to read mail. I just installed t-bird for the
> convenience of sending mail from that machine. On another machine I
> never want to automatically download mail, since I want to prescreen
> it with the Comcast web-mail service.
>
> Do any of you t-bird users know some other place from which startup
> behavior is controlled and/or what you call this "feature"?
>
> Thanks.

There's a preference pane item (Edit=>Preferences) under "General"
called "Thunderbird Start Page" (which, IMO, is an odd thing to call it,
just 'cause I don't think of an email program as having "pages" in the
same way, say, a web browser does -- but whatever).  I have never
changed that setting from the default, but that should be where you can
control what Tbird shows on start-up.  The default on my install is:

chrome://messenger/content/start.xhtml

As for connecting and downloading mail, that's done on a per account
basis, so you need to go to Edit=>Account Settings and adjust the server
settings from there.  It's the same setting you mention -- "Check for
new messages at startup."

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." --S. Jackson